Kakos Poros Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Huck

Re: Kakos Poros

by Huck » 03 Feb 2016, 11:12

Frank wrote:
... On Open street map there is a connecting path and something of a dirt road going to this trail, allowing to make sort of a triangular walk from Agios Ioannis. I can't make these paths out on the satellite images, do they actually exist?

From Kakos Poros a trail towards Selouda does exist as shown on the OpenStreetMap image above. The beginning of the trail (at Kakos Poros) is actually marked but only for a few meters. Then it becomes more or less invisible due to a thick layer of pine needles.

The walk is very easy and as far as I remember it takes about 35 minutes to walk from Kakos Poros to where the trail meets the Agios Ioannis – Selouda path. But the trail leads through dense pine forest and since you only once or twice get a glimpse of the sea far below or of the edge of the cliff you'll need to have the trail on a gps or you'll loose your way within seconds after having left Kakos Poros.

You can create a route on an OpenStreetMap installed in e.g. Garmin's Base Camp application and then export it as a gpx-file to a gps. In other words; a triangular walk Agios Ioannis – Kakos Poros – Selouda – Agios Ioannis is possible.

I have no info about the red dotted "shortcut" on the OSM image.

//Huck

langsten

by langsten » 03 Feb 2016, 11:56

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful information.

Ray.

denisc

by denisc » 03 Feb 2016, 17:12

Be sure to bring a picnic. There is a table and benches for eating in comfort at the escarpment that makes the visit particularly enjoyable.
As for the name, I believe it refers to a rough/difficult path down the cliff face. It has become so eroded and congested by fallen trees and suchlike in recent years that only a few crazy climbers/adventurers have attempted it.

Michael

by Michael » 04 Feb 2016, 08:00

denisc wrote:As for the name, I believe it refers to a rough/difficult path down the cliff face. It has become so eroded and congested by fallen trees and suchlike in recent years that only a few crazy climbers/adventurers have attempted it.

As one of those crazy persons I'd like to mention that this adventure will be doomed without a guide (Italo for example). :oops:
IMG_1052.jpg
Me closing the goat fence just below Kakos Poros

Best wishes
Michael

P.S: Next time I'll have to ask Antonis from Alonia about the origin of the name.
Many people die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75.
(Benjamin Franklin)

Wolfgang

by Wolfgang » 04 Feb 2016, 12:07

poros = opening, areaway, passage, aperture (see also engl.: pore).

Coming from the wood, there it opens to an impressive panorama
and (maybe) a passage to an older, bad descent, meantime blocked.

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 18 Feb 2016, 16:18

I have been in the area last week. A connecting route (not a proper path) from the Kakos Poros path towards Selloudha certainly exists. The area is not very difficult underfoot. You more or less walk along the cliff through dense forest. Shortly before Selloudha you have to walk northwards as there is a ravine in between.
The shortcut (in red) might start at the cistern further up. In the western direction, a walled path towards the first ravine (I just forgot its name) that you cross when walking towards Kormokopou as well as to Sapounas (the second ravine) to the west begins. Therefore it makes sense that there is a continuation in eastern direction.

Best wishes
Simon

Gerd

by Gerd » 08 Jun 2016, 13:05

Frank wrote:[edit: split off from: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=120]
On Open street map there is a connecting path and something of a dirt road going to this trail, allowing to make sort of a triangular walk from Agios Ioannis. I can't make these paths out on the satellite images, do they actually exist?

On OSM I have downgraded the "road" (for vehicles!) to a "path" and added a note "almost invisible". There is definitely no road and I do not remember a path either. Last time I was there I just followed the cliff (easy walking, great view) and later had to cross an area of rocks. If anybody has exact knowledge about any paths between the two "poros" (but not how to edit OSM), please send me a note, prefereably with GPX and some details.

Name: Antonis told me that "poros" means "opening" (in the cliff), this one being the bad one (kakos), while at Sellouda there is the good one (kalos), i.e. the place where you can easily descend.

mike

by mike » 10 Jun 2016, 09:50

Some photos of the path. Since the path goes through a pine forest it is mostly needles and dirt, along with exposed rock in places, underfoot. Overall, an easy grade with only the last drop, of a few tens of meters, to the 'table' being steep.

Photo #1:
photo1.JPG

Ancient water conduit (leading to cistern?) down middle, footpath on immediate right. This is indication of typical state of path.

Photo #2:
photo2.JPG

Looking south over the flat clearing that includes cistern. The footpath can be seen crossing from the right.

Photo #3:

photo3.JPG

A goat trail/'path', heading east from cistern. To get to Sellouda from table requires a sense of orientation/compass, etc. Easiest would be to return to cistern.

Photo #4:

photo4.JPG

Taken on east wall of gully. This was the only obstacle on the route I followed. Steep, lots of rotten wood underfoot, but not in any way technically difficult. You come out on the route Ag Ioannis-Sellouda more or less in the area where the road ends.