Loutre to Agia Roumeli Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Spinx

Loutre to Agia Roumeli

by Spinx » 08 Sep 2017, 14:17

Hi, we will be in Sfakia for 2 weeks in October and wondered which of the following routes would be best:

Taxi from Hora Sfakia to Agia Ioannis then walk to Agios Pavlos beach and on to Agia Roumeli for ferry back to Hora Sfakia.

Ferry to Loutre from HS then E4 path to Agia Roumeli stopping at AP beach on way. Ferry back to HS as above.

All replies welcomed.

Thanks

Huw and Sandra (Wales) [(0)]

robo

Re: Loutre to Agia Roumeli

by robo » 08 Sep 2017, 14:41

Did this a couple of years ago in October but the other way around. Walked down the Samaria gorge and stopped overnight in Agia Roumeli then walk the coastal path to Loutro the following day and caught the ferry to Sfakia. Beautiful walk with some stunning views but I have to say that I feel I've missed out on that section down the kalderimi from Agia Ioannis to Agios Pavlos - might just have to go and do it again :)

robo

Lennert

by Lennert » 09 Sep 2017, 19:08

Hi every one. Had the most beautiful walk Anopoli - Selouda - Ag Paulos - Agia Roumeli in May 2015. We left Anopoli around 8 am and arrived Agia Roumeli around 2 pm. Relaxing and eating in Roumeli for a couple of hours before going by the ferry to Chora Sfakion. What a daytrip still clearly in my mind. See photos below. Best regards from Lennert DK

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0EG6XBubw150I

arnulf

by arnulf » 11 Sep 2017, 10:23

Hello!

I would highly recommend the trip from A. Yoannis via Selloudha to A. Roumeli! The coastalwalk from Marmara to A. Roumeli is a bit boring, and there is no shadow until You reach the forest before A. Pavlos. The vieuws from and down Selloudha are fantastic!!

Have a nice trip!!!

Arnulf Sunde

mike

by mike » 17 Sep 2017, 11:30

Ag Ioannis alternative is MUCH more scenic.

Spinx

by Spinx » 26 Sep 2017, 11:24

Thanks for all the replies. Looking forward to visiting again in just over a week.

Regards,

Huw

Spinx

by Spinx » 17 Oct 2017, 11:10

We completed the hike yesterday. Ferry to Agia Roumeli, hike to Loutro then ferry back to Hora Sfakion. When I get chance I'll provide full report and photos.

Spinx

by Spinx » 17 Oct 2017, 15:49

We boarded the Daskalogiannis in Chora Sfakion at 10.30 and after a brief stop in Loutro headed west on the mirror sea to Agia Roumeli where we disembarked at 11.45 to commence our hike.
The E4 path east from the bottom Samaria Gorge is well marked all the way to Agios Pavlos beach where we stopped for a swim. We rejoined the path a climbed above the beach walking through the pines to climb the escarpment, passing the fork to Agios Ioannis . The views were fantastic and the path well defined.
We continued well above the sea on a rocky but well marked path before the steep scramble down to Marmara at the mouth of the Aradhena gorge. We had planned a second swim but time was slipping by so we pressed on.
The path from Marmara to Likos was not pleasant with a very difficult rock section to drop down onto beach. I understand that there may have been an alterative route along a newer path and the dirt road to Livianna.
After Likos the path took us through some restaurants at Finix before one final climb up and over the hill before arriving in Loutro at 17.40 where we drank a well deserved beer before the Daskalogiannis picked us up to return us to Chora Sfakion where we enjoyed another beer in the Delfini watching the spectacular sunset.
A great day walking but some care needed.

Huw and Sandra