Sfakia report, Nov 8-9 Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Jean

Sfakia report, Nov 8-9

by Jean » 09 Nov 2017, 19:48

The beautiful weather continues – sunny and very warm, with little wind. There are still a few tourists staying in Sfakia, but in general it is wonderfully quiet, especially in the mornings. While we enjoy the more peaceful atmosphere, the locals are still getting used to the big change from having lots of customers to seeing only their neighbours. There are many weddings and pre-wedding celebrations now, so the locals are recovering from those as well as from the very busy autumn. People are catching up on their sleep, and doing tasks around the house and in Chania that have been put off during the tourist season. The tree in front of the car hire kiosk got trimmed yesterday (but the tamarisk outside Stavris hasn’t been pruned yet).

tree pruning.jpg
packing up the plants.jpg
boats out of water.jpg

We drove to Orthi Ammo for a swim, but the waves were a bit high. We continued on to Agia Marina (below Skaloti) just for the view to Plakias, then returned to Sfakia for a swim in calmer waters.

Orthi Ammo.jpg
view from above Agia Marina toward Plakias.jpg

Wednesday morning we noticed several buses going up towards Anopoli and remembered that it was the feast day of Archangel Michaelis, celebrated every year at the beautiful old church in Aradena whose interior is covered in frescoes. Later in the morning the passengers descended on Sfakia for coffee, cake and lunch, so for several hours the village was full of loud conversations and people strolling around.

Thursday morning was sunny and very hot until after lunchtime, when a westerly wind started, a few clouds blew over, and the sea got at bit rough. But the evening has been calmer and warmer. We enjoyed the last sunset of our holiday at the Faros café.

sunset.jpg
sun sinking with fish-shaped cloud.jpg

Tonight Greece is playing Croatia at football, and we will be watching the match at Damoulis’ bar in the plateia with the local lads.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Sfakia report, Nov 8-9

by Erno » 09 Nov 2017, 20:24

Thank you very much Jean, for all your entertaining, beautiful and informative reports! I will miss them.

Have a good trip back, both of you.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

arnulf

by arnulf » 09 Nov 2017, 22:40

As Erno writes: Thank You for wonderful reports!

Have a good trip to Your home, and I wish You a nice winter!!

All the best

Arnulf

Jean

by Jean » 10 Nov 2017, 06:13

Thank you all very much. It's a privilege to be able to spend such a long time here, and we assume that other Sfakia lovers are interested in what's going on in their absence, which is the reason I do these reports. We hope that over the winter someone else will post some news and photos of this wonderful place that is so close to our hearts.

rick

by rick » 10 Nov 2017, 09:16

My heartfelt thanks also, to Jean, Wiltrud, and Peter, for all the wonderful reports and photos. Good journey home and much happiness over the winter remembering your lovely long stay in Sfakia. [<>~]

robertbean05

by robertbean05 » 10 Nov 2017, 10:04

Jean,
May I add my thanks also for your informative reports.
You so obviously enjoy your visits that they whet one's appetite to return and savour again the simple pleasures that Sfakia provides.
I wish you peace and good health over the coming northern winter and look forward to reports of your next visit.
Regards, Bob.

Ludo

by Ludo » 10 Nov 2017, 17:40

A big big "thank you" for your nice reports/photos, I looked forward every day to read them! Kalo taksidi, kai kalo xeimona!

Betsy

by Betsy » 12 Nov 2017, 09:24

Thank you from me as well Jean and Peter.