2017 World Travel Market (WTM) show in London 06 Nov. - 08 Nov. Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

deadeggs

2017 World Travel Market (WTM) show in London 06 Nov. - 08 Nov.

by deadeggs » 08 Nov 2017, 15:36

The 2017 WTM (World Travel Market) show is finishing today in London (08 Nov.)
Greece has made an impressive representation in the show with a big stand which included a contribution from GSTours Chania Ltd.
Greece won the “Best For Business Award” at the show.

See copy/paste link below for a short video they used for Crete in the exhibition.

Apparently a lot of talk/conferences/ workshops for the new buzz word being used in the travel industry “overtourism”. Apparently Greece has the problem with some of its destinations plus several other countries in the world. Barcelona in Spain, for example.
Basically what they are talking about is too many tourists in a destination at a given time where there is not the structure with community utility services. The word includes also local traditions and history such as farming land being sold off for the expansion of touristic projects.
The general feeling from what I have heard/read is not to block the tourists but to plan to avoid the problems.

Gavdos, I believe, is suffering this problem. I’m sure there is some type of grant available from either Brussels or the tourism section of the Greek government, no?

http://london.wtm.com/en/Exhibitors/352 ... Chania-LTD