Rubbish in Gavdos 2016 and 2017. Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Rubbish in Gavdos 2016 and 2017.

by Erno » 05 Nov 2017, 10:26

This is what I found after a search:

Gavdos WAS a part of the former Selino Province. It nowadays is a municipality of itself, and administratively is a part of the regional unit of Chania.

The Municipality of Gavdos has their own web site:
https://gavdos-dimos.com/

It shows: City Hall of Gavdos TEL +30 28230 41270 (a bit different than given above!), I could not find a email address or contact form there.

It also reveals the Deputy Mayor's and Mayor's mobile numbers:

* Deputy Mayor: Efstratios Lambakis: +30 6975787799
* Mayor: Evangelia Kallinikou: +30 6972515132

Good luck!

P.S. I think I found the email address of the Mayor:

Kallinikou Evangelia, tel: +30 6972515132, email: gellygavdos@yahoo.gr
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 05 Nov 2017, 19:17

Thanks for all your help.
One solution could be to put a tax (not a big one) on visitors to the island to offset the cost of treating garbage disposal and other environmental problems (water supply, roads etc.
Will let you know if anything results from my/our efforts.
Best regards
Deadeggs.

Kosmas

by Kosmas » 05 Nov 2017, 20:20

No way with an email: mine of last year is still waiting for an answer...
ERNO did a great job with twitter: I will call tomorrow.
My French municipality has also a natura 2000 zone: I will find someone here who may help us ... and Gavdos...

rick

by rick » 06 Nov 2017, 11:05

Contact form for Natura 2000 (European Commission / Environment)
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/contact/form_en.htm

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 09 Nov 2017, 09:25

I sent an e-mail to the European Commission Environment Contact yesterday asking for a contact of a department or person to whom I/we can send information and photos about the rubbish in the Natura 2000 site at Agios Ioannis beach.
I have received the following reply.............

Your question will be forwarded to the appropriate unit in the Directorate-General. You should expect a reply within 15 working days (Code of Good Administrative Behaviour - http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/civil_ ... dex_en.htm).
Environment DG
Shared Resources Directorate
ENV-INFO@ec.europa.eu

Wait and see :-)

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 09 Nov 2017, 10:01

Did you also send an email to the Mayor? She is responsible. The email address is above.
All the best,

Erno

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 09 Nov 2017, 16:50

No I'm going to send a letter with the photos. My way of thinking is that a letter will be on her desk and she'll have to file it or do something about it. And maybe some other people who look at her desk or deal with her incoming mail will have a chance to see the photos. With an e-mail, it can get lost amongst the other e-mail she receives. For example, as new e-mails arrive the old e-mail gets lost and/or forgotten about in the history file. This is what happens to me with my incoming e-mails. Or maybe it's just that I have a bad memory.
Abyway, great thanks for your continued interest and help in this matter. I note that the topic on this forum has been visited by over 400 viewers.
Again, thanks Erno.

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 15 Nov 2017, 15:50

Received a reply via an e-mail from the European Commission Environment, today (15 Nov. 2017) See copy as follow........

Thank you for your query below and your interest in protecting Natura 2000 areas.
According to relevant EU nature legislation (Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC), it is a responsibility of Member State authorities to take all necessary measures in order to avoid deterioration and disturbance of protected features in Natura 2000 areas. You can find detailed information about Natura 2000 provisions on our web page at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/ ... dex_en.htm.

The issue of rubbish in Gavdos island is a matter of local enforcement. You are therefore advised to raise your concern with the Greek Ministry of Environment and Energy, which has the overall responsibility for implementing Natura 2000 provisions in Greece. You can do that by submitting your query to the Ministry through a dedicated form (http://www.ypeka.gr/Default.aspx?tabid= ... uage=en-US ) or by contacting the division of biodiversity and protected areas (Mr. Ioannis Mitsopoulos <i.mitsopoulos@prv.ypeka.gr>, head of unit Mr. G. Alvanopoulos g.alvanopoulos@prv.ypeka.gr).

Kind regards

Fotios PAPOULIAS
European Commission
DG Environment - Unit D.3 "Nature protection" BU-5 6/148
B-1049 Brussels
Phone: +32-2-2994280 Fax: +32-2-2990895 e-mail : fotios.papoulias@ec.europa.eu

I will fill in the form to the Ministry of Environment and Energy as advised by the writer, Fotios PAPOULIAS in Brussels. Unfortunately, on these standard internet forms, there is no way to attach photos.
I will also send the same information to the Division of Biodiversity and Protected Areas (also advised by Fotios PAPOULIAS). Looks like it is not via a standard internet form but just a standard e-mail so maybe I'll be able to attach the photos.
Will keep you informed of replies.
Best regards
Deadeggs.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 15 Nov 2017, 16:13

I still think it would be fair to firstly contact the Mayor of Gavdos, who is responsible in the first place, and to give her a chance to take the necessary measures, before you pass her over to a higher level.
All the best,

Erno

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 15 Nov 2017, 19:58

I read your comment Erno and yes I agree with what you say. I will do all I can in the hope that the Mayor of Gavdos is informed of the situation before I start filling in forms to government bodies etc. I sent, last week an e-mail to the Mayor at the e-mail address you gave me (gellygavdos@yahoo.gr) asking if I could have a postal address for a letter. I re-sent the request yesterday. If I get no reply by next week, I'll just send the letter to ..... The Mayor Gavdos Island Crete. It should eventually get to her. I prefer to send a letter rather than an e-mail to outline the situation we saw in 2016 and 2017. I understand very well the work of a mayor in a small community and it is probable that a lot of her work is done on a voluntary basis. However, somewhere and somehow, somebody has to find a solution to the situation.
If nothing else, it has to be looked at from a health and environmental basis.
In 2016, the smell wasn't too nice and the scenery wasn't too nice either. I noted that the subject has attracted over 600 viewers on the forum now.
Again Erno, thanks for your comment and advice. Deadeggs.