Tornado south of Sfakia Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Tornado south of Sfakia

by Erno » 29 Nov 2016, 11:20

Tornado south of Sfakia - 29 November, 2016

hurricane291116.jpg

A small tornado has occurred this morning south of Gavdos.

Christoph Becker with his lens captured the phenomenon that occurred in the sea area south of Marble Beach, Sfakia and moved to land.

From (with more photos): http://flashnews.gr/post/293389/entypws ... akiwn-fwto
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

mike

Re: Tornado south of Sfakia

by mike » 01 Dec 2016, 10:51

This image has been heavily 'photo-shopped'. Ag Pavlos in the foreground has been patched into something else, maybe 2-3 other images.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 01 Dec 2016, 11:12

The photo has been photoshopped for a more dramatic sky, but I think it was actually taken from Agios Pavlos beach, looking towards Marmara (i.e. towards the east). It represents the actual situation there.

From Google Streetview:

agios-pavlos.jpg
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

mike

by mike » 05 Dec 2016, 10:00

We'd have to ask the photographer what is what. The photo is a composite. I don't doubt that there is a bit of the photo that is "Ag Pavlos on the beach". But the shoreline in the background, the rising hillside in deep shadow .. these look 'off' in some way. Then the clouds ..

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 05 Dec 2016, 12:43

I am almost sure that the photograph is taken from Agios Pavlos taverna. Afterwards, it has probably been photoshopped. But I don't think that it is a composite.
Best wishes
Simon

mike

by mike » 09 Dec 2016, 10:18

simon-1978 wrote:I am almost sure that the photograph is taken from Agios Pavlos taverna. Afterwards, it has probably been photoshopped. But I don't think that it is a composite.

Probably from outside. I think a big rock blocks a view of the chapel from the terrace itself. The chapel is 80m away, which means its foreground position in photo is the result of optical and/or digital zoom (cropping). If the photographer was standing that close to the chapel then the background would look different.

I have been giving it more thought. The problem for me is that I am there every year and I have a strong mental image of the 3D space there. The geometry of this photo is "off" in some way, for a reason that I have not been able to easily identify. Or, to be more precise, the visual cues in the photo that define the geometric relations do not easily fit my own memories and other photos that I have.

What the photographer probably did was to set the exposure to capture detail in the bright sky. This resulted in a very dark image of the ground (foreground, chapel, rising slope on left, ridge-line in distance). He appears to have tried to correct this by first brightening the foreground. However, when you brighten a dark area the result is a washed out image, as if viewed in fog. To correct this the next step would be to increase the contrast to try and bring out some of the color. But then you have the problem that the image may over-saturated, giving it an artificial appearance.

I think the source of my confusion is that two ridge lines are visible when you look east from this location, one about 1 km away and one about 2 km away. In the photo both of these are merged together, with the closest ridge hidden in black except where it meets the water. The result is that important visual cues that I use to define the geometric relations are now lost. I experience the photo as being very unreal/unnatural in many ways.

ChristophBecker

by ChristophBecker » 12 Dec 2016, 10:47

Hello, Iassas
sorry first, my English is not very good ;)
I made these photos from a balcony over the restaurant. In this way the rock where the menu is written doesn't block my view. I have no Pc or Laptop here. In this way the photos are not photoshopped. But I used the internal Camera effect "impressiv", because I had problems with the light conditions. This effect makes clouds more vissible and makes the very dark church more bright. I hope you this is enough information?!
I made also a video with my Camera which you can see on my facebook account:
https://www.facebook.com/christoph.becker.31392
I am here in Crete,the area of Sfakia for longer time and I like to make fotos from these small tornardos. There was another tornardo the same day in the area. I posted also one foto of this.
Enjoy your time!
Christoph

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 13 Dec 2016, 19:42

Hello Christoph,

Welcome to the forum, we saw that you joined yesterday. Thanks for very nice and atmospheric pictures. It is interesting to know that you are in the Sfakia area for a longer period. Look forward to more of your work.

Best wishes
Marie and Andrew