South coast buses to the Omalos/Ag Irini gorge Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jan

South coast buses to the Omalos/Ag Irini gorge

by jan » 30 Apr 2019, 08:48

Does anyone know whether the bus service from Sougia to the Omalos is currently running on the 'normal' route? And whether the Ag Irini gorge is yet open to walkers? The online bus timetable implies normal service but things can be different in reality!

It's still six weeks till our annual walking visit to SW Crete , which is when I normally plan our walking itinerary, but with the past winter's weather this isn't as easy as usual. Would greatly appreciate, between now and the end of May, updates from people 'on the spot'.

Thanks

Jan

simon-1978

Re: South coast buses to the Omalos/Ag Irini gorge

by simon-1978 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:13

Hi Jan,
I have heard that there are damages in the Agia Irini gorge and that it might not be walkable. But I do not have precise or updated information on this. The other gorges of the White Mountains do obviously not have suffered so much from the bad weather but the Selino area has. It might be a good idea to call someone in Sougia to receive the latest news.
Best wishes
Simon

jan

by jan » 30 Apr 2019, 15:54

Thanks Simon. Now you remind me, I think I read somewhere that the Ag Irini gorge had been damaged, which would be a shame as it's a good route from Sougia to the Omalos.

I don't suppose you have information on the state of the track which leaves from near the Ag Theodoros chapel and ends at Koustogerako?

Jan

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 01 May 2019, 05:46

Hi Jan,

I have just read on Facebook that Agia Irini is passable but the path has vanished in several places so that it takes more time to cross the gorge.
I assume the path from Koustogerako to Ag. Theodoroi should be OK - it does not run near to the cliffs or on very steep terrain.

Best wishes
Simon

jan

by jan » 01 May 2019, 08:51

And thanks again Simon.

We'll ask around in Sougia regarding Ag Irini as things will have changed - hopefully for the better - by the time we arrive.

Jan